Journal Articles

Improved care and reduced costs with advanced wound dressings

Share this article

Improved care and reduced costs with advanced wound dressings

Bronwen Lafferty, Lisa Wood, Paul Davis
1 March 2011

Aims: To determine whether an advanced wound dressing technology can deliver measurable care benefits and reduce costs in a leg ulcer clinic. This pilot study was carried out as an industry/NHS collaboration. Methods: The existing caseload was assessed and tracked for 16 weeks under the clinic’s existing ‘standard care’ regimens. After this run-in period, patients with static or deteriorating wounds were switched to treatment with advanced wound dressings (Oxyzyme™ for non-infected wounds and Iodozyme™ for infected wounds). Wounds assessed as improving were continued with their current treatment. Progress was tracked for a further 20 weeks. Results: Of the 26 wounds being supervised, 11 leg ulcer wounds (nine patients) were treated with Oxyzyme or Iodozyme. After 12 weeks, four of these (36%) had healed and the remaining seven (64%) were continuing to improve. After 20 weeks with Oxyzyme™ or Iodozyme™, six wounds had healed and four continued to show improvement (the remaining wound was withdrawn at week 13). Conclusions: Although more expensive than ‘standard’ dressings, the modern dressings were more cost-effective in the long term. Conflict of interest: The study was supported by Archimed.

Free for all healthcare professionals

Sign up to the Wounds Group journals

By clicking ‘Subscribe’, you are agreeing that the Wounds Group are able to email you periodic newsletters. You may unsubscribe from these at any time. Your info is safe with us and we will never sell or trade your details. For information please review our privacy policy.

Are you a healthcare professional? This website is for healthcare professionals only. To continue, please confirm that you are a healthcare professional below.

We use cookies responsibly to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your browser settings, we’ll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this website. Read about how we use cookies.

I am not a healthcare professional.